Pacific Northwest Bible Quizzing Rules
The following are the Bible Quizzing Rules, hereinafter referred to as Rules, of Pacific Northwest Bible Quizzing, hereinafter referred to as PNW.
These rules are managed by the PNW Rules Subcommittee as per the PNW Bylaws and Standard Operating Policies (SOPs). Rules codificiation begins with the IBQ rule book, accepted as the base set of rules. The following rules provide overrides and adjustments to the IBQ rules as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Rules Subcommittee.
The following are rules about questions, questions types, distribution, and related topics.
Prior to each season, the Rules Committee or a person or group they appoint for this purpose will define and publish two versions of the upcoming season's Key Verses List (KVL), a public and private version. The public version will be published widely to all quizzing participants. The private version will be made available only to official question writers.
The public KVL will not specify which FTV or Quote sub-types will be used for any given verse; only the private KVL will include this information.
Every FTV or Quote question must come only from the verses defined in the KVL. Any deviation from this is open to challenge.
The CMA rulebook prohibits FTVs on verses that start with the same 5 words as any other verse in the whole material. Within PNW, however, FTV questions cannot be asked on verses that start with the same 5 words as any other verse in the KVL. FT questions must be unique within the first 5 words when compared to every other sentence-start or quotation-start in verses that are part of the KVL.
No Multi-Verse Q/F Type Questions
There will be no multi-verse Q/F type questions allowed, such as FTN, Q2V, and F2V.
Question Type Requirements
For the purposes of question type requirements:
- Multiple-answer reference questions will be considered reference questions only, not also multiple-answers
Quizmasters will strive to select question for each quiz of a given meet such that 50% of the questions come from the new material for the given meet and 50% from previous material. This is not challengeable or protestable.
There are no requirements regarding material distribution within question types. There are no requirements regarding repeated questions during a district meet.
Bonus questions will be jumping team bonus questions.
Scoring, Rankings, and Averages
The following are rules related to scoring, team and individual positions, and averages.
Meet Cancelation due to Inclement Weather
The Board of Directors will decide if a quiz meet needs to be canceled due to inclement weather. If individual quizzers or whole teams of quizzers are unable to attend a meet due to inclement weather, the Board of Directors will determine if such absenses are justified, and such determination will not be unreasonably withheld.
For individuals missing a meet due to weather:
- If missing one of the first 3 meets or District Championships, the individual will receive a 0 average for that meet
- If missing District Meet 4, the individual will receive a 0 for 10% of that meet and 10% weight applied to District Meet 5
- If missing District Meet 5, the individual will receive a 0 for 10% of that meet and 15% weight applied to District Championships
For teams missing a meet due to weather:
- If missing District Meet 3, the team will receive Last Place for 15% of that meet and 10% weight applied to District Meet 4
- If missing District Meet 4, the team will receive Last Place for 25% of that meet and 10% weight applied to District Meet 5
- If missing District Meets 1, 2, 5, or District Championships, the team will receive Last Place for that meet
Team ties during prelims will not be broken, which is to say, there will be no overtime during prelims.
If teams are tied for any placement after the preliminary quizzes, these criteria will break the tie:
- Placement if they faced each other
- Number of 1st placements
- Number of 2nd placements
- Number of 3rd placements
- Total errors
Quizzer individual averages are computed as follows:
- Within a given quiz meet:
- 6 prelim quizzes (the number of which may change without notice) + any Bracket quizzes through Quiz I
- Tiebreakers and Finals do not count towards individual averages
- All other quizzes (Final 9 Bracket or Consolation Bracket) count at 100%
- Within a given quiz season:
- Meets 1-3: drop the lowest, the remaining 2 count 10% each
- Meet 4: 20%
- Meet 5: 25%
- District Championships: 35%
- For GWI qualification:
- Meets 1-5, weightings as listed above, denominator will be 0.65
The top 5 yearly rookies are determined by year-to-date average post District Meet 5.
Team On-Time Bonus
For the purposes of awarding the starting 20-point team bonus, the officials will consider a quiz's scheduled start time to be 3 minutes after the close of any previous quiz in which any team in the upcoming quiz participates.
A ministry organization (typically but not always a church) is eligable to sponsor teams of quizzers to participate in PNW Quizzing provided that organization be theologically traditional Christian. (See our bylaws for more information.)
Any youth who will be 18 or younger at any point during the quiz season and has adequately to their local ministry organization's head coach demonstrated maturity sufficient to be a quizzer may participate. (See our quizzer behavioral expectations document for more information.)